Saturday, February 2, 2008

Rundown of games

Don't get excited yet; There aren't any games in the builds yet! I'm only going to explain how I plan to make these work.
Here's the basic process:
Client1 right clicks Client2 and Challenges him to a game
Client1 is asked to confirm the challenge
Client2 is asked to accept the challenge
Game begins
The beauty of this: It's mainly client sided! I've already made the necessary modifications to the server so the server can be up while I whittle away at implementing Rock-Paper-Scissors!
Originally I was going to have the client and the other client exchange a little information over the server, like their IPs, and then connect directly to each other. Advantages: Speedier. The server wouldn't get bogged down with requests to forward a message to a particular user. But I decided not because of the fact that one of the clients would then have to be made a server and a whole 'nother port would have to open up and blecch, to much work right there. So the way I see it, it'll be alright because the server won't be required to do much more, really.

No comments: