I’ve been hearing almost nothing but good things about the new Windows, and it was just a beta. I signed on to Windows Live and got my product key and downloaded it to test it for myself.
Day 1
I didn’t have a spare PC to test it on (well, nothing that met the minimum requirements) so the only option was my PC. I decided on a dual boot set which was ridiculously easy. The setup took about a half an hour, which surprised me, because all installations of Windows on a real machine I’ve done usually take longer. So far, so good.
Once I was in, I was met by an odd desktop background (some sort of fish,) a messed up resolution, and missing drivers for my wireless card and sound. First I tried getting the network up and running. No success. I booted back into XP to download display drivers and possibly new network drivers. The Omega drivers I downloaded didn’t work for my display, so I had to call it a day.
Day 2
I managed to get the network up and running with slightly updated drivers for XP, and I downloaded the official ATI Catalyst software for my Radeon Xpress 200. Success! Now I ran a quick Windows Update, and that updated my sound drivers and (sigh) my network drivers.
All that working, I installed Firefox, Thunderbird, Google Chrome, and Pidgin, all of which worked flawlessly.
Then, with my newly tricked-out OS, I listened to MuggleCast Live!
Day 3
Windows was complaining about not having any antivirus software, so I downloaded Avast! home edition. I love avast on XP, but it’s a piece of crap on Windows 7. I installed it and attempted to to let it update, but it gave me a blue screen of death twice. Uninstall.
I also installed OpenOffice.org 3, which works flawlessly, and SBCG4AP Ep1, which also works.
Right now I’m going to try to install AVG Free Edition, and see if that will work better than avast! did.
No comments:
Post a Comment