Sunday, April 19, 2015

469,440 minutes, or, Where in the World is Mitchell Rysavy?

Now listening: Seasons of Love (RENT Soundtrack)

At the time of writing, it has been 326 days (or 10 months, and 22 days) since I left England.

I've been thinking about this fact for a long time (325 days, in fact) and I've wanted to write something about it but for the life of me I can't think of what to write. Mostly I just miss the act of blogging like I did last year, and the idea that my experiences could somehow be neatly summed up. Actually the fact that I HAD bloggable experiences is something I miss as well. I was reminded of this when I saw that yesterday (April 18th) is the exact one-year anniversary of the infamous (in my mind) Mona Lisa selfie!


That's not to say I haven't been busy these past months! In truth, I've been about as busy as I was in England, but I take fewer train trips and spend more time at home. I'll try to give a rough overview here.

Over the summer I worked at Sam's Club, and my job, as I described it in an interview for a software engineering internship, was to "make hotdogs and pizzas." If you've ever been in a Sam's Club, you'll know that the Café is a pretty tiny, enclosed space (at least in every Sam's Club I've ever been in.) The job taught me a lot about food service and at times, it was a lot to handle. However, despite its best efforts, Sam's Club Café deluxe pizza is my all-time favorite pizza (which is saying something, if you know me.)

Then I moved into an apartment in Duluth. I think the picture here accurately describes the moving
process. I was also offered a job by the very university office that facilitated my time in England, which I was eager to accept. Now, I spend a significant portion of my week at a desk helping students and faculty going abroad by living vicariously through them. I couldn't be happier!

This is the pattern of my life now. Class, work, people. Repeat.

Of course, as much as I want to go back to England (and I will - just watch me!) I do have to acknowledge that the place that I live has natural beauty and cultural significance, too. In September my roommates and friends and I went up the North Shore, to places that I had been before, and others that I hadn't, such as Gooseberry Falls and Palisade Head.


Sights like these are why I left for Duluth in the first place.

Additionally, over spring break I went to Chicago, for the third time in my life. I got to do everything that I love doing on this trip: driving, eating, walking, taking public transportation in new places, window shopping, going to Apple stores (see previous), and eating. We also visited the Willis (/Sears) Tower and had minor panic attacks when we stepped out into the glass boxes at the top.


You know, I do wish I could have made a deep and thoughtful article like I did last year. But I can honestly say that my life is pretty awesome now, despite the pangs and struggles and thanks to the wonderful people and little things that make my days worth it, like my coffeemaker and having laundry machines in my apartment.
Post a Comment